Backups [was Re: Is tape dead?]

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Fri Sep 18 11:49:13 CDT 2015

On Fri, 18 Sep 2015, Liam Proven wrote:
> However, Cryptolocker et al spread by fooling users into running
> something they shouldn't run. I'm sorry, but you got suckered.

Absolutely.
I now think that it was a "We're Adobe, click here to update Flash Player"
or maybe "Java update"
But, I never got my winnings from the Elbonian Lottery.

It got everything in that computer, and started on the backup drive that
was currently connected.  I now realize the importance of diconnecting the
backup drive promptly.    D'uh!

But, it got bogged down in the first directory of the backup drive, and
hadn't moved on to the other directories by the time it started extortion
of the computer!  Tht directory was full of zillions of files, mostly
photos copied from my friend's computer after he died.  He saved me from
beyond the grave!   And, I still have his machine to make another copy of
those.

Hmmm.  30 years ago, I stepped on the DIRectory of a floppy, and created a
subdirectory that had a subdirectory that was its parent directory.  It
actually worked well enough to prevent CHKDSK /V from being able to walk
the DIRectory tree (kept trying to follow subdirectories back onto
themselves).  I wonder if that would work on this?  (until they notice,
and change their sequence).  Also created files named "*.*" and
"????????.???", multiple entries for same file in DIRectory, etc.

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com