TSS/8 with modern disks?

COURYHOUSE at aol.com COURYHOUSE at aol.com
Sat Sep 19 11:48:33 CDT 2015

Seems  like a  ssd  would  make an ideal    fixed head  replacement if it
has  to swap swap swap all   the  time?

Ed#  _www.smecc.org_ (http://www.smecc.org)

In a message dated 9/19/2015 9:44:07 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
wilson at dbit.com writes:

On Sat,  Sep 19, 2015 at 10:50:04AM -0500, Charles wrote:
>Some years ago I  recall reading about possibly modifying TSS/8 to run on
more
>recent  disks instead of the ancient DF32 (a whopping 32Kword fixed head
disk
>with up to three more slaved platters).

Or the RF08/RS08 --  luxurious compared to a DF32/DS32!

>Did anyone actually implement  the changes? I know it wouldn't work well
on a
>moving-head disk without  significant changes, because the swapping is
more or
>less  constant.

A zillion years ago, the DECUS library had a TSS/8 hack to  make it run
on an RK05 (as the only disk I mean -- later TSS/8s already  supported RKs
as data disks, unless I've gone senile).  No idea how  they managed that --
the wordiness of the DF/RF controllers penetrates deep  into TSS/8's soul.
Maybe RFILE/WFILE weren't done compatibly with vanilla  TSS/8?  Dunno.

John Wilson [0,3]@SID
D  Bit