Backups [was Re: Is tape dead?]

John Foust jfoust at threedee.com
Sun Sep 20 09:24:01 CDT 2015

At 05:57 AM 9/20/2015, Liam Proven wrote:
>On 20 September 2015 at 05:58, John Foust <jfoust at threedee.com> wrote:
>> Someone's demonstrated you can hide in the firmware of hard drives.
>
>And access the hypervisor layer of an OS in various ways from programs
>executing inside a VM.

Yeah, that too.  The easy recombination and modularization of malware
makes it so much worse.  I suspect there are quite a few easy ways that
malware could hold hostage the typical VMware / Hyper-V / Veeam / NAS / SAN
setups at many businesses, and easy money because it would be far easier
to pay the ransom than to perform full disaster recovery.

On a more classic-computer bent, though, I try to look backwards
for wisdom about how this problem could be solved, and it's such a
different world with the Internet and higher stakes and dependency
on networked computers...  it's not easy to solve.

- John