Multi-platform distribution format (Was: Backups [was

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Sun Sep 20 19:32:27 CDT 2015

On Sun, 20 Sep 2015, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> There was a good reason for that.
> Many early disk controllers did not have a "write index to index" fucntion
> that also enabled writing special (i.e. missing clocks) characters.  As a
> result, one had to purchase 8" floppies pre-formatted (this actually
> persisted for quite some time).  IBM 3740 format was the most common format
> out there; hence the easiest to obtain.

It certainly made absolute sense as the format to use.

But, I had thought that there should then be a SECOND standard for 5.25",
for those machines without 8" support.
Gary disagreed.  Having more than ONE "standard" makes it not completely a
standard.  Still, a 5.25" "recommended" format, or a specific family with
sides and densities,  would have made a lot of people less miserable,
(did we really need thousands of mutually incompatable formats?),
and I would have been programming some other project.

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com