Self modifying code, lambda calculus - Re: ENIAC programming

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Mon Sep 21 19:37:27 CDT 2015

On 09/21/2015 04:58 PM, Al Kossow wrote:
> On 9/21/15 2:33 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
>
>> PASCAL was first implemented in FORTRAN.
>>

> Was there something before
> http://bitsavers.org/pdf/eth/pascal/ETH_Pascal_Listing_Nov72.pdf ?
>
> looks like 6600 assembler to me

It's COMPASS all right, but a quick scan through it shows that it's more
likely a run-time package, rather than a compiler.  Most interesting is
the brief PP profiling program at the end.

--Chuck

FWIW, at about the same time this was being written, SYMPL was being
floated to the SCOPE 3.4 people.  I recall some discussion about SYMPL
including some elements of the then-nascent Pascal.  To the best of my
knowledge, it didn't happen.

One wonders if Wirth ever considered coding the compiler in SYMPL...