The desk has arrived - WAS: Somewhat OT: Freighting Items

Ali cctalk at fahimi.net
Tue Sep 22 09:00:50 CDT 2015

> Huh, interesting ... I bet that thing is built like an old Steelcase!
> Looks heavy :O

Sean,

It is built pretty well. Think late 1970s early 1980s furniture. It has heavy metal supports w/ casters built in but the "wood" is plywood - mind you not the cheap light stuff from today but certainly not solid oak. It was designed for use by businesses as a cheap and mobile cubicle. You can see an ad for it here:

http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/878/retro-scan-of-the-week-the-official-ibm-pc-desk

It weighed unpacked about 100 pounds. Once fully loaded (monitor, system, keyboard, manuals, printer and printer paper) though I think it will tip the scale at over 200 pounds easy.

I am not sure how many different desks IBM made. This is the only one I have seen my old IBM catalogs. However, I know there were at least two other IBM Synergetix branded desks: a tri-level and a bi-level desk w/ moving platforms. I own the tri-level desk as well. The bi-level was supposedly for the Atlanta Olympics and is made of plastic.

-Ali