Structured Fortran - was Re: Self modifying code, lambda calculus

ben bfranchuk at jetnet.ab.ca
Tue Sep 22 15:22:01 CDT 2015

On 9/22/2015 1:49 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 09/22/2015 12:36 PM, ben wrote:
>
>> PL/M in FORTRAN made CP/M possible.
>> That to me seems more important than Pascal in Fortran.
>
> I think that's an overstatement.  There were plenty of 8-bit OS-es
> written in assembly.  That Gary did the first version of CP/M using PL/M
> was more a matter of convenience.

I can't think of OS's off hand but CP/M and Flex.
Mr Gates Basic does not count as OS.

> In other words, CP/M (if you consider it to be an important innovation)
> would have happened, PL/M or not.  I mean that it's not a lot of
> code--development time would not have been much different.

True, but the Cross Assembler still would be FORTRAN.
The only hand coded machine would have been the APPLE I.

> When DRI tried to foist PL/I on its developer community, that played out
> much less successfully.

Only now I have money to play with small computers (FPGA 8 bit design)
not in the late 70's. I suspect the high cost of hardware left little
money left for software was true for every one back then.