Structured Fortran - was Re: Self modifying code, lambda calculus

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Sep 23 18:24:53 CDT 2015

On 09/23/2015 02:27 PM, ben wrote:

> The 60's idea that MACROS could do that seems to have faded away.
> Ben.

It depends.  One very handy method is to devise a machine architecture,
complete with registers and opcodes, and write the application code in
macros, creating instruction words--and then run them using a small
emulator for the devised machine.

After operation can be validated, re-code the macro bodies to generate
native machine code instead of emulated fictitious machine instructions.

A way to get certain tasks done very quickly.

The C macro facility barely qualifies as such.  PL/I had a wonderful
preprocessor; some assemblers were similarly versatile. For example,
I've used an assembler that boasted support of arrays of structures of
user-defined data types.  Now that was a macro facility.

--Chuck