If you OCR, always archive the bitmaps too - Re: Regarding Manuals

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Sun Sep 27 09:08:07 CDT 2015

On 2015-09-27 15:38, Dave G4UGM wrote:

> [...]

That's because it looked exactly that way in the original as well. Blame
the author/typesetter.

> It is also only basically non-technical English. Try a couple of pages from any of the VM/370R6 manuals.

Like I said, I don't even remember what software I used. :-(
I got it with a scanner I bought in the 90s, and running on Windows ME.
Otherwise I would love to apply it to something bigger/more technical.

> I have tried to OCR without the bit maps with little success. These are especially badly reproduced (originally not as scanned). I can read the text from the BitMaps and know its right.
> One error in the OCR and I can be scratching my hed for ages. I also don't have problems reading them on a laprop...

Errors are always bad. Agreed. That is not something we're discussing here.

I don't have problems reading the current scans, as such. But when
having ten of these open at the same time, and scrolling through them,
it becomes obvious that the bitmaps are heavy. It can take a while for
the screen to be updated. Not to mention the problems you sometimes hits
with searching...

	Johnny