C & undefined behaviour - was Re: tumble under BSD

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Sun Apr 3 08:56:14 CDT 2016

> On Apr 3, 2016, at 12:19 AM, Tomasz Konojacki <me at xenu.pl> wrote:
>
> On Sat, 2 Apr 2016 18:58:10 -0400 (EDT)
> Mouse <mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG> wrote:
>
>> He's assuming the "the entire address space is a single
>> array of bytes (perhaps with holes)" memory model is the only possible
>> one.  He needs to talk with someone who wrote large-model 8086 code -
>> or someone who's used the Lisp Machine C compiler I heard of that
>> represents pointers as <array,index> pairs
>
> Indeed, intel segmented memory model was weird. Near pointers were
> uncomparable between the segments, but it wasn't that unintuitive.
>
> Far pointers were insanity-inducing, though. Since there were multiple
> ways to represent the same address as a far pointer, there was completely
> no point in doing any comparisons (unless you normalized them, of course).
>
> Thankfully, huge pointers behaved exactly as one would expect, i.e. just
> like pointers work in the protected mode.

There we have the issue.  Often when people speak of what they "expect" you're looking at an assumption about a C program that the standard does not allow you to make.  It's "expectations" of how particular compilers have worked in the past, how they have compiled programs that are in fact "undefined", that gets you in trouble.  When a better compiler (with more powerful optimization) breaks the program, the compiler is blamed rather than the programmer who made the incorrect assumption.

Ideally compilers would flag all undefined programs, but in practice they do not.  I'm not sure that in C such a thing is even possible; C is not what you would call a sanely designed language.

This paper https://pdos.csail.mit.edu/papers/ub:apsys12.pdf is an excellent survey.

	paul