The Right Way to Email - was Re: C & undefined behaviour - was Re: tumble under BSD

Mike Stein mhs.stein at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 15:55:18 CDT 2016

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Woyciesjes" <woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net>
To: "General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts" <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
Sent: Monday, April 04, 2016 2:07 PM
Subject: Re: The Right Way to Email - was Re: C & undefined behaviour - was Re: tumble under BSD

> ...Who reads an email message from the bottom up?

I don't; I read the (new) message from the top down and on the extremely
rare occasion that I need to read what it's referring to I either scroll down
or click on "show quoted text," depending on what I'm using at the time.

Can't say I've ever had a big problem following a thread through the
archive either.

> It is arrogant rudeness when it is done in a place where everyone
> expects inline or bottom posting.

Not "everyone"...

What borders on arrogant rudeness IMO is the tone of some of the
replies to people who, while actually making the effort to follow
'the rules', merely suggest that maybe there's room for more than
one way of doing things and try to explain the issues they're having,
only to be met with e.g. "totally baseless" and "non-existent"...

FWIW I just looked through the other vintage computer lists I'm on,
presumably also populated at least in part by computer-savvy folks
or professionals, and they all freely use and accept top-posting and
flowed text.

I continue to be surprised by how little tolerance there is for different
ways of doing things in what is presumably an intelligent, progressive
and innovative community, whether it be operating systems, hardware,
languages or procedures; just try saying something positive about
Microsoft, programming in BASIC or the "peecee"...