A fruitfull evening

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Tue Apr 12 19:46:31 CDT 2016

    > From: drlegendre

    > I've certainly never encountered any of the 'horror stories' about it
    > ... +attracting+ moisture and fostering rust, ad nauseam.

I have personally experienced this; but in WD40's defence, it depends _how_
it is used.

If you spray it on lightly, and wipe off the excess (leaving the item feeling
only very slightly 'oily' to the touch, but that's all), it is indeed a great
preservative. If, on the other hand, you leave great pools of the stuff on
something, and let the thing sit for a long time, that _will_ create rust.

BTW, WD-40 was actually invented to protect the un-painted metal skin of the
Atlas ICBM. I believe that the details are in:

  John L. Chapman, "Atlas: The Story of a Missile"

(a great book in its own right).

	NOel