Fan bearing lubricant was Re: WD-40 (again)

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Sun Apr 17 17:54:49 CDT 2016

    > From: drlegendre

    > There are so many types, sources & grades of lubricating oil out there,
    > it boggles the best of minds.

Speaking of lubricating oils... I've recently been cleaning/etc some of
the ~4" boxer fans that the earlier PDP-11's use in large quantities.
Some of the IMC fans (sleeve bearing) in the machine didn't really want to
turn; on taking them apart, they were absolutely full of dirt, and when
cleaned, spun up nicely.

However.. what lubricant should I use on them before putting them back
together for the long term? I assume I should use _something_? But the
machine's going to be sitting a fair amount, so I don't want something that
will dry out and/or gum up. What do people recommend? Would a 20SAE oil, as
used on small electric motors, be OK, or is that in danger of turning into
gummy stuff if left sitting for too long? Is there e.g. some silione-based
stuff which is long-term capable?

Thanks in advance for any/all advice!

	Noel