Vintage Computer Festivals???

Guy Sotomayor ggs at shiresoft.com
Mon Apr 18 13:21:04 CDT 2016

> On Apr 18, 2016, at 11:12 AM, Jim Brain <brain at jbrain.com> wrote:
>

> A larger concern for me would be what is implied in the "VCF would 'run' it...".  For instance, while I do not begrudge the VCF East config per se, it's tough for a combo exhibitor/vendor, and I know that's not going to change, as per the board's wishes.  Still, calling a hobbyist who sells some of his creations a vendor is a dubious distinction, in my opinion, since no one is making much money on these things, it's just a service for fellow enthusiasts. All of the other shows I attend (like the upcoming CocoFEST!) make no distinction.  Thus, if VCF running the show means that all future shows have to have a separate vendor area, that would detract from my attendance.  I realize I'm just one enthusiast, but I feel it's useful to share at least my opinion.

I understand the desire to having a separate vendor area so as to keep the exhibit area a bit “neater” and more focused on demos rather than selling/trading.  It is a tradeoff and I agree it’s a choice that folks have to make if they want to exhibit or vend (ie without a number of folks it’s hard to “do both”).

> I also think it would be a mistake to make all the shows too "homogenized" in format, if that's a goal in this directive.  Some folks attend multiple shows, and the variety I think would be of benefit.

Unlike most commercial “shows” where it’s the same vendors/exhibitors at each, VCF *will* be different because you’ll have different vendors/exhibitors showing up that tend to be from the “local” geographic area.

TTFN - Guy