[OT] eBay tale (Was: Re: flea markets (was Re: Vintage Computer Festivals???))

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Wed Apr 20 11:50:15 CDT 2016

> On Apr 20, 2016, at 09:44, Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:
> That sounds right.  Then again, eBay seems to be going out of its way to alienate large numbers of people.  In the case discussed here, it may be a one-off change.  But in other areas it's deliberate broad policy.  Ask gun collectors/owners about eBay policies some time.

As a gun collector/owner, let me go ask myself...

Boy, did I just get an earful! :)

> A non-PC eBay competitor could potentially win a large audience.

Like gunbroker.com, for example. I think that venue has been pretty successful. But it also has a much larger target market than vintage computer collectors, I think, and it's dealing with items that eBay entirely forbids, thus greatly reducing the amount of healthy (?) competition from eBay. In our specific situation here, eBay is just fine with our items of interest being sold on eBay, but they simply annoy some (many? most? few? just the cantankerous ones?) of us enough that we wish there was a better venue. Whether we can make a viable alternate venue seems doubtful to me, but I'll participate if we give it a try.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/