High performance coprocessor boards of the 80s and 90s - was Re: SGI ONYX

Swift Griggs swiftgriggs at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 12:51:20 CDT 2016

On Fri, 22 Apr 2016, Liam Proven wrote:
> GEM ran on MS-DOS, DR's own DOS+ (a forerunner of the later DR-DOS)

It still runs under FreeDOS, too. I've puttered around with it several
times in that environment.

> ... and on the Atari ST's TOS, derived in part from CP/M-68K.

Ah ha! I always wondered about that relationship. So, the ST TOS GEM *was*
in fact related to the same version that ran on DOS. I always wondered if it
was just similar naming, copy-cat syndrome, or if they were a licensee. Now
I know! I never had an ST, unfortunately. I just drooled on them.

> The only BBC copro that could run GEM, AFAIAA, was the BBC Master 512 with
> the Intel 80186.

Whoa. That sounds bizarre but cool.

-Swift