bit slice chips (was Re: Harris H800 Computer)

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Sat Apr 23 01:56:04 CDT 2016

I'd say the 74181 (1970) deserves a mention here. Simpler (no register component, ALU only) but it pretty much kicked off the start of IC-level bit slicing.

Adding to Eric's mention of the PDP-6, the HP2116 (1966) did board-level bit-slicing (CPU registers, ALU, datapaths on 4 identical boards of 4 bits each).