Accelerator boards - no future? Bad business?

Swift Griggs swiftgriggs at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 10:42:31 CDT 2016

On Sat, 23 Apr 2016, Chris Hanson wrote:
> I want to use the systems as a whole enough not to just live in emulation,
> but I only have a limited amount of time to spend with them, so replacing
> just a few subsystems in ways that make the use of the overall systems
> smoother seems like a reasonable compromise.

I completely agree with you and the rest of your post.  It sounds like you
and I have a very similar attitude and use-case for our retro-hardware.
I don't mind putting 3rd party extras on my older systems. As an example,
I use several Acard 50-pin SCSI2 narrow adapter that can hold 2.5" SATA
drives on older systems.  The bandwidth of the SSDs I put in these
adapters far outstrips the capabilities of my old SGI & Amiga systems.
The thing is the latency is _so_ much lower, and that *does* translate to
improved performance on the old hardware.  It makes using the machines
much more enjoyable.

Plus, I remember a tradition of modifying and extending hardware in the
80's and 90's that's mostly been lost in the era of cheap disposable PCs.
I'm okay with hot-rodding machines, even 20-30 years later when it doesn't
make much difference. Why not use an emulator? Well where is the fun in
that if I can't touch the metal ?

I guess it's a bit like old cars.  Lots of people hate the idea of someone
putting non-original parts onto classic cars. Others will go nuts and
butcher them into franken-rods with a mix. To each his own. I might be
laughed at for wanting a Fiero-Ferrari, but hey it's all in good fun.

-Swift