High performance coprocessor boards of the 80s and 90s - was Re: SGI ONYX

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 17:49:07 CDT 2016

On 04/25/2016 10:02 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
> I meant to develop this point slightly, and did in a blog post, here:
>
> http://liam-on-linux.livejournal.com/48593.html
>
> But in the meantime, it kept the 6502-based, resolutely-8-bit BBC
> Micro line alive with updates and new models, including ROM-based
> terminals and machines with a range of built-in coprocessors: faster
> 6502-family chips for power users, Z80s for CP/M, Intel's 80186 for
> kinda-sorta PC compatibility, the NatSemi 32016 with PANOS for
> ill-defined scientific computing, and finally, an ARM copro before the
> new ARM-based machines were ready.

I'm not sure if a user could go out and buy a 32016 copro, though. The only
ones I've ever been aware of have come from educational institutions and I
get the impression they were employed more for testing the market than
anything.

> What I dismissed as one of the ROM-based terminals was the Acorn
> Communicator, a single-box machine (i.e. main board in the keyboard,
> like an Amiga 500 or original 520 ST.)

I had a couple of those, and I know one went to a museum, but I'm not
entirely sure what I did with the other! I may still have it.

cheers

Jules