Mac "Workgroup Server" (or "network server") hardware & AIX

Jerry Kemp other at oryx.us
Tue Apr 26 15:46:56 CDT 2016

On 04/26/16 03:25 PM, Swift Griggs wrote:

>> A/UX - another Apple Unix that (originally) only ran on specific hardware.
>> There is now an emulation project called "ShoeBill" that will allow you to
>> run A/UX on top of other hardware.
>
> I've seen that project before.  The only issue is that you need a legal ROM
> image and I don't have one.  If I had a machine to dump the ROM from, I'd
> probably just use that, instead.  The project is still really neat, though.

All of this stuff, OS, ROM's, other misc code, is widely and easily available
out there on the Interwebs.  I won't say any more or provide any specifics, as I
like being on this list and don't want to get booted for sharing locations for
unlicensed software.

Ultimately, it boils down to what your morals are, when using an abandoned
product from a couple of decades ago for hobbyist and/or learning usage only.

I'm certain that anyone here who decided to write a new software product to run
their business on, that ran on top of A/UX would immediately be sending some
money Apple's way.

>> AIX - disclaimer - nothing modern going on here either.
>
> Hehe, careful, you don't want all the AIX fans coming out of the woodwork
> on the attack.  AIX is one that I had heard some negativity about when I
> first started learning it (I regularly learn new Unix variants just for
> fun). Someone called it "Ain't Unix" (and for heaven's sake it wasn't me).
> Now, I can see it's strengths and weaknesses.

Sorry for any misunderstanding here, you are reading something into this here
that was never intended.

What I mean here, unlike the other products discussed in this thread, that were
dropped/discontinued after a couple of releases decades ago, AIX wasn't.  I'm
not up to date on the Current version of AIX, but I'm thinking 7.x, maybe 8.x????

The stuff I am playing with is 1.x, again, from a couple of decades ago, on a
hardware platform that IBM abandoned.  Nothing more is implied.  Nothing to read
between the lines.

Unix is a very religious subject.  My last intent is to get on someone's bad
side here.

Moving on, all of the AIX 1.x stuff is widely and easily available for easy
download at various locations.

Jerry