History [was Re: strangest systems I've sent email from]

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Wed Apr 27 06:34:26 CDT 2016

> Is it NAT keeping everyone suppressed behind dynamic translation or
> is it more that 80% of the people on the net are just consuming media
> and since they don't clamor for equal "real" IP access, the ISPs
> simply don't care about that.

A bit from column A, a bit from column B, I would say.

>> This is why I pay in excess of $300/month for a T1 line and a /27,
>> as well as ADSL with a /28 (from a local provider that doesn't care
>> if I run "servers" or not).
> I'd do the same thing if I wasn't such a tightwad or didn't have
> friends that did as you do who let me host with them.  It's
> definitely very sub-optimal and expensive for no good reason.

And I spend over $80/month for DSL to a provider that gives me a /29
and a /60 from globally routed space.  (That everything is now CIDR
blocks is another loss; I am not fond of the desupporting of
noncontiguous subnet masks, even though I can understand it - I'm the
only person I've ever heard of running that way other than for
testing.)

A small local provider, but still.

> Thanks for that post.  Very cathartic.  Glad I'm not the only one.  :-)

No, no, you aren't the only one.  Even most of what I cut I agree with;
it just didn't seem to call for a response.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org