Calling all typographers

Brian L. Stuart blstuart at bellsouth.net
Thu Apr 28 10:58:06 CDT 2016

On Thu, 4/28/16, Rod Smallwood <rodsmallwood52 at btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 28/04/2016 16:32, Jon Elson wrote:
>> Have you tried MetaFont?  I've never actually created a font with it,
>> just used it automatically within the TeX environment.  But, there is
>> a human-readable language that defines the characters.
>
> I haven't where would I find it?

It should be part of pretty much any TeX installation.  I don't know if anyone
has packaged it up independently of TeX though.  If you don't already
have TeX installed, I'll warn you that the mainstream TeX distributions
are pretty huge.  There's a build-from-source distribution called kerTeX
that I use.  It's much closer to Knuth's original packaging and I find to be
quite a bit more managable.  If all you need is METAFONT, then that
might be a nice way to go.

BLS