strangest systems I've sent email from

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Fri Apr 29 09:37:50 CDT 2016

On Fri, 29 Apr 2016, Chris Hanson wrote:
> I think both Lisa and Mac Smalltalk went to market, or at least to
> academia and industry if they weren’t available as products.

I know that the Lisa went to market.     Sorta.
Well before public announcement, I played with one briefly in my cousin's
office in Evans Hall (UCBerk).  I said that it was going to need some
changes to be marketable.  (specifically including, "make it faster -
did they really write those sections of the OS in Pascal?", narrower,
cheaper, and "get rid of those silly floppies with the extra thumbprint
slot".  "make up a team with experience other than theoretical to
redesign it, make it faster, stupid simple, and so cheap that it could be
sold for $500, so that you can sell it to yuppies and 'the rest of them'
for $2000")

I wondered whether they would even try to market Smalltalk.