Gentoo (was Re: strangest systems I've sent email from)

Alex McWhirter alexmcwhirter at triadic.us
Fri Apr 29 12:43:26 CDT 2016

I can more or less agree with your sentiments, but given the choice of needing to maintain compatibility between many applications and being able to support multiple architectures such as SPARC and Power Gentoo is really the only choice.
The only real close candidate would be FreeBSD which treats anything that isn't x86 as a second class citizen. I have my own issues with Linux as well, and as I said earlier I would much rather use illumos, but when it comes to business applications that always have to run and always maintain compatibility is new versions come out gentoo is as close to a BSD/Unix that I can get to and maintain compatibility with everything I need.
Use flags can be cumbersome if you have tons of applications such as a desktop system. But that's generally not the case for servers which is really all I care about in this case. For me it's generally just maintaining a set of used flags for each application that I need which is generally pretty minimal per server / container.
Profiles help make Use flags not as cumbersome, but it doesn't quite fix the issue.
Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device