strangest systems I've sent email from

Diane Bruce db at db.net
Fri Apr 29 14:25:20 CDT 2016

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 09:13:42PM +0200, Raymond Wiker wrote:

> > On 29 Apr 2016, at 21:10 , Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:
> >

> >> On Apr 29, 2016, at 3:01 PM, ben <bfranchuk at jetnet.ab.ca> wrote:
> >>
> >> I liked Forth when it was still threaded.
> >
> > ???
> >
> > Base FORTH is not, in and of itself, threaded.  PolyFORTH was if memory serves.  Then again, creating a thread scheduler (cooperative scheduler) for FORTH is just a modest exercise for the programmer.
>
> I'm guessing Ben means threaded as in "Threaded Interpretative Language", and not a concurrent programming language.
>
> There are still plenty of Forth implementations based on threading (of words).

Sure. Adobe postscript is a thread interpretative language (TIL). It looks
very much like FORTH if you squint real hard.
Also, old DEC Fortran looks very TILish if you didn't use the option
to generate native PDP-11 code. ;)
My own 6502 emulator written in 68K asm looks very TILish as well. ;)

--
- db at FreeBSD.org db at db.net http://www.db.net/~db