strangest systems I've sent email from

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Fri Apr 29 21:12:50 CDT 2016

On 04/29/2016 11:59 AM, Diane Bruce wrote:
> Pascal and the Bell Northern Research, BNR (prior to
> Nortel amalgamation) derivative were pretty awful.
> Fortunately I never had to use the BNR version. They both
> suffered from not having separate compilation units, at
> least until near the end of BNR.
DEC Pascal and Borland's Turbo Pascal had separate
compilation that worked pretty well.  The one place I see
Pascal being a bit out of the league of other systems was
standard text and numeric I/O being substantially slower
than the I/O library routines for some other languages.  Not
a problem if just reading or writing a page of text, but if
handling hundreds of K you definitely notice.  Binary I/O
seemed to be OK.

Jon