FidoNet ....show [was: History [was Re: strangest systems I've sent email from]]

Rod Smallwood rodsmallwood52 at btinternet.com
Sat Apr 30 23:05:31 CDT 2016

That's interesting I had a FidoBBs back in 1983  No 33

Written by a guy called Tom Jennings in C.

I had a BT modem type 2B (about the size of a small suitcase)

I modified it to auto answer.

In addition it would dial out at 03:00 to exchange mail at 300baud

There was a version for DEC Rainbow and I was working for DEC at the time.

I asked if i could have one to replace the VT100 on my desk and try out
any software.

My boss said   "sure - get a couple nobody wants them any way"

I trot off to the stores and ask. They say Oh yeah there's load of
pallets of them over there.

Promotional stock - nobody wants them no DEC operating system.

How many do you want? he asks Two says I.

He says I'll go and get the fork lift.  Er no - not two pallets full -
just two boxes !!

Rod Smallwood