HP to acquire SGI

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Aug 12 11:33:37 CDT 2016

On 08/12/2016 06:17 AM, Todd Killingsworth wrote:

> SGI was already destroyed decades ago.  With more vision, they could
> have transitioned the business into becoming an Nvidia instead of a
> faceless rack server company.

But that's really what SGI is/was today--the former Rackable Systems who
inherited the name after purchasing the Chapter 11 remains of SGI back
in 2009, except for some tidbits held by a mystery group called
"Graphics Properties Holdings, Inc.", which is probably the name of some
file in a lawyer's office in New Rochelle.  GPH is mostly known for
using old SGI patents to go after the likes of Samsung, Google and Amazon.

In the 1990s, SGI always seemed to me to be more of a hedge fund
operations, acquiring and then relinquishing MIPS and Cray, picking up
Intergraph and Wavefront.  I suspect that releasing MIPS and Cray via
IPOs was a way to raise capital.

Whatever, the original company and mindset is long gone.  No use crying
over spilt milk.

--Chuck