R: HP to acquire SGI

Steven M Jones classiccmp at crash.com
Sun Aug 14 16:02:07 CDT 2016

On 08/14/2016 13:08, Ian S. King wrote:

> Grab all the SGI docs/bits you can, before HP sends them to /dev/null and
> 404....

SGI "retired" their excellent TechPubs system not very long ago when
they outsourced customer support, thereby removing all the docs and
patches that still covered many of the MIPS-based products of the
original company. There are a couple mirrors around in various states of
functionality, the one I've been referring folks to is at
http://techpubs.jurassic.nl, with thanks to Jan-Jaap.

In HP(e)'s defense, they have so far kept an awful lot of DEC and Compaq
material online. Perhaps that's by accident as much as intent, but I'm
not complaining either way... For instance, I was just perusing (and
saving) the DEC Tech Journal from 1991 - 1998, which is archived under
the HP Journal (http://www.hpl.hp.com/hpjournal/journal.html) and
alongside the Tandem Systems Review.

--S.