My first 10BASE5 network segment

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.plus.com
Fri Aug 26 05:34:47 CDT 2016

On 26/08/2016 06:26, Warner Losh wrote:
> 10base5 also had rules for minimum bend radius

True, because bending the cable alters the geometry and introduces
impedance discontinuities, though (to be picky) the allowable bend
radius varies between cable manufacturers because the precise cable
construction dictates the tightest bend that wouldn't upset the
impedance.  What I recall from the standard is that cables must support
a bend radius of 254mm /or less/ in order to be flexible enough for
reasonably easy installation.  A sort of "maximum minimum bend radius".

> as well as tap locations to be at the maxima of the reflection point.

Actually it's to /avoid/ maxima and thereby to ensure things are out of
phase, minimising adverse interference effects.  The node positions are
at 2.5m intervals, a distance which is chosen so that taps and
terminators are very unlikely to be exact wavelengths apart and hence
will /not/ be at maxima, so conflicting signals will be out of phase.
IIRC correctly it's deliberately not quite 1/19th of the wavelength.

For the same reason, cable sections are supposed to be odd multiples of
the half-wavelength of the signal (23.4m, etc).

--
Pete
Pete Turnbull