IBM System/360 Model 44 Pamphlet

Jon Elson jonelson126 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 18:15:17 CST 2016

On 12/09/2016 05:46 PM, steven at malikoff.com wrote:

> Thank you for the interesting brochure Bill, as far as I know the Model 44 was
> a bit of an odd duck in having a modified instruction set.

The model 44 was a non-microcoded machine, and the lowest model with
full 32-bit data paths.
(Model 30 was 8 bit!!, model 40 was 16 bits).  The /44 was aimed at
scientific computing and process control applications.  Yes, certainly
an odd duck.  It had some other oddities, such as optional integrated
files (disk drives installed internal to the CPU cabinet) and direct I/O
support (basically parallel input and output registers).  The /44 lacked
all character and decimal instructions, but the floating point
performance was close to (or in some cases can even exceed) the 360/50
performance.

Jon