TOPS-20 Telnet and Port Forwading issue

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Tue Dec 13 09:52:49 CST 2016

> Interestingly, when I telnet from _outside_ the network to my
> firewall's port 2320, it works, but Telnet goes into line mode rather
> than character mode!

Probably, as I think someone said, telnet noticing it's not using the
standard telnet port and not even trying to go character-at-a-time.

I did a telnet myself, snooping the network traffic, and...

me -> you SYN
you -> me SYN|ACK
me -> you ACK
you -> me data: IAC WILL ECHO
me -> you data: IAC DO ECHO
you -> me data: \r\n DECTEN, PANDA TOPS-20...

Nowhere, in particular, is there any attempt at LINEMODE negotiation.
And, when I type ?, nothing is sent until I press RETURN, upon which my
end sends ?\r\n.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org