Rack-mounting a TU56

Tony Duell ard.p850ug1 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 13:18:43 CST 2016

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 7:12 PM, Jay West <jwest at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> Tony wrote...
>> Anyway, does anyone have experience of rack-mounting a TU56? It
>> clearly doesn't go on slide rails, it bolts directly to the rack
>> (hinge down the front panel for access). I have the manuals from
>> Bitsavers, they imply there is some kind of spacer block that goes
>> under the TU56. Does anyone know what that is exactly so  I can
>> attempt to make one if it is needed.
>
> Yes, I rackmounted a tu56 a few weeks ago. I also saw the docs mention that
> spacer, but I think it wasn't technically necessary based on where I was putting
> it. I will go look at that rack shortly and let you know today.

OK, thanks, Are the screws through the TU56 front flanges into the
front rails of the rack
enough to support it?

I don't care too much what it looks like. If the spacer is just a
filler panel type thing
and doesn't support the TU56 in any way then I don't need to worry about
it.

> I can tell you - be careful about putting it all the way at the top. The front deck can't tilt
> downward if the upper edge doesn't have clearance.

ARGH. I was planning on putting it at the top of the rack. But surely it will
just catch on that plastic decor panel, I can either trim that a bit
or put spacers under
the fixing screws.

The only other think I could put at the top is the PC04, perhaps that would
be easier.

> Then again - anyone who has met me knows I'd never mount a peripheral requiring
> hands on that far up in a cabinet *grin*

I am tall enough that that is not a problem.

-tony