Rack-mounting a TU56

Tony Duell ard.p850ug1 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 14:17:59 CST 2016

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 8:05 PM, Jay West <jwest at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> Ok I just double-checked my 8E racks, and it refreshed my memory.
>
> The support bracket is not necessary. I believe that it provided no benefit after the TU56
> was mounted... it was merely present in order to make it even possible for one person
> to bolt the tu56 to the uprights. It is a non-trivial amount of weight, so holding it in place
> while bolting it in is tenuous at the least and most likely impossible. The support bracket
> just provides a front edge to help hold it up during installation.

OK. Sounds like I can live without it. I had considered making a rail
with tapped holes
in the ends to mount across the rack on the front set of side flanges.
But I don't
think I need that.

> Being a stickler for authenticity, I was looking for that support bracket but never did find one.
> So... I wound up using one of those horizontal bars/plates that were commonly (DEC provided)
> mounted above and below a stack of lead counterweights, as it's mechanically almost identical
> and provides exactly the same benefit in the same spot. I left it installed, in case I ever wanted
> to move the TU56.

I am not sure what parts you are talking about here, or why.

> All this occurred in the short version of the H960 (I forget... H962? The one with the sloped front).
> The sloped front at the top was just the tiniest fraction too far out to allow the TU56 deck to tilt
> down - despite the fact that DEC obviously took pains to make it require no clearance overhead.
> Since you're using a full height H960 with a different nameplate piece at the top... it may just
>  work fine.
>
> But given the weight, I'd not try it "just to see" ;) YMMV

The recommendation in the manual is to remove the front panel from the
TU56, rack mount
the chassis and put the panel back on.

I think I do have to try it to see and I am doing it on my own. But
then again, I have rack-mounted
other heavy units on my own...

-tony