heavy stuff -- was: Anyone want an RK11-C manual?

Tony Duell ard.p850ug1 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 14:31:19 CST 2016

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 8:23 PM, Henk Gooijen <henk.gooijen at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Grin … I don’t plan to check whether Mother Earth’s acceleration is still working fine.
> Indeed, the RA60 is heavy. Just like RA81’s, the RA60 is not good for your back, but
> the RA60 is worse than the RA81. The RA60 is also “longer” compared to the RA81,
> and that does not help either when you hav to move an RA60 around.

I'm doing an RA80-like thing soon. Actually an R80, going at the
bottom of a half-height
rack for the 11/730. I am building that one up in the rack. No way am
I lifting it
fully assembled (and actually DEC suggest you remove the HDA first).

> I really do not want to mess with the mechanical construction of the entire RP03
> drive. They are too rare. I want to move them “as is”. The only thing that can be
> done easily is removing the side panels.

Maybe I have more (unjustified) confidnnce in my abilities to get
things back together
again, but in my case I think I would feel there was less risk of
damage if I took the
thing apart than if I tried to move it assembled. I wouldn't touch the
heads or positioner
parts (A full alignment would be 'interesting') but I would certainly
remove the spindle
all PCBs, mains transformer/PSU parts, blower, etc.

> However, the ceiling in the cellar has an opening although that is currently welded
> by a closing lid. The system was installed in the 80ties, and it is not remembered
> how the system got into the cellar back then. The system has operated in that cellar
> for almost 20 years (PDP-11/40, RP11, Kennedy 9100 – 3 H960 rack system).
>
> I used wooden planks (shelves) laid on the stairs, and then pushed the racks up.
> It was heavy, even for 3 strong guys --- OK, 2.5 😊   I removed the Kennedy tape

Get more strong friends :-). Be warned that unless they have experience in
moving classic computers you might regret it,

-tony