Motorola MC14081B

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 19:10:31 CST 2016

On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 5:58 PM, Paul Berger <phb.hfx at gmail.com> wrote:

> (I might have a CD4081B somewhere too, which is pin compatible according to
>
>> the datasheet)
>>
> Same component Motorola prefixed their 4000 series CMOS numbers with a 1
> to be different.

To be fair, it wasn't just to be different. Motorola already had a
well-established 4000 bipolar family at the time RCA introduced 4000 series
CMOS, so it would have cause even MORE confusion if Motorola had used the
RCA 4000 part numbers without any change.

Some of the Motorola 4000 family were still made until fairly recently,
like the MC4044.