Altair 8800 name Was: Re: Altair 680 Expansion Boards?

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 20:01:46 CST 2016

"The Z80 had more players and more names than all the rest"

And yet it was essentially a bit-player in the days of the 'home computer'
revolution - at least in the US. CBM, Apple, Atari - the three big names in
home computers, all went with the 6502 family. And perhaps even more
importantly, so did Nintendo, in the NES. The main use of Z80 in US home
computing was in the absurdly small Timex / Sinclair ZX80 series - with
their awful cramped membrane keyboards and seriously limited sound & video.

The Z80 also showed up in the Osborne, Kaypro and TRS-80 models.. mostly
due to the fact that CP/M was written to it. Commodore also put one in the
C128, but by then, it was almost a dead letter.