Transporting an LGP-30

william degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 09:49:32 CST 2016

On Mon, Dec 26, 2016 at 10:37 AM, Christian Corti <
cc at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Dec 2016, Cory Heisterkamp wrote:
>
>> I recently became the owner of an LGP-30, supposedly in 'working'
>> condition. However, the machine is roughly 2000 miles from me and will need
>> to be transported by freight. Before it's palletized, are there any special
>> precautions I should take to ensure its safe travel. I'm especially worried
>> about the drum (drum lock?), but haven't been able to find a maintenance or
>> setup doc.
>>
>> Anyone out there with experience or can offer a few pointers?
>>

> - Remove all tube modules and pack them in boxes (with good padding)
> - Remove the drum and stuff/pack it separately (remove the belt going to
> the small motor below the drum and unscrew the drum assembly from the frame)
> - Remove all side panels and the cover; there's nothing more annoying than
> dented panels caused by fixating the frame to the panel and/or truck.
>
> Do you get software and manuals with your machine?
>
> Christian
>
> PS: Just found the auction... you paid *WHAT*??? Wow... for a machine in a
> quite battered shape. What idiot put the heavy Flexowriter on the fragile
> top?? Where's the cable connecting the Flexowriter to the computer? Oh, and
> it works without a power cable... Sorry, I had to make those comments ;-)
> Good luck and enjoy playing with your new computer :-)

aw come on :-)  This is a one of a kind thing.  There is a value in knowing
you have a project that will keep you busy, assuming you enjoy this kind of
thing, for a long time.  On the other end will be a lot of new knowledge.

I have manuals for this machine, they're out there. I have a neat training
manual that was used by LGP to train new users.  They really looked at this
thing to be a personal computer.  This was some may claim by some
definition the *first* personal computer.

Bill