Transporting an LGP-30

Cory Heisterkamp coryheisterkamp at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 10:38:15 CST 2016

On Dec 26, 2016, at 8:49 AM, william degnan wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 26, 2016 at 10:37 AM, Christian Corti <
> cc at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 23 Dec 2016, Cory Heisterkamp wrote:
>>
>>> I recently became the owner of an LGP-30, supposedly in 'working'
>>> condition. However, the machine is roughly 2000 miles from me and will need
>>> to be transported by freight. Before it's palletized, are there any special
>>> precautions I should take to ensure its safe travel. I'm especially worried
>>> about the drum (drum lock?), but haven't been able to find a maintenance or
>>> setup doc.
>>>
>>> Anyone out there with experience or can offer a few pointers?
>>>

>> - Remove all tube modules and pack them in boxes (with good padding)
>> - Remove the drum and stuff/pack it separately (remove the belt going to
>> the small motor below the drum and unscrew the drum assembly from the frame)
>> - Remove all side panels and the cover; there's nothing more annoying than
>> dented panels caused by fixating the frame to the panel and/or truck.
>>
>> Do you get software and manuals with your machine?
>>
>> Christian
>>
>> PS: Just found the auction... you paid *WHAT*??? Wow... for a machine in a
>> quite battered shape. What idiot put the heavy Flexowriter on the fragile
>> top?? Where's the cable connecting the Flexowriter to the computer? Oh, and
>> it works without a power cable... Sorry, I had to make those comments ;-)
>> Good luck and enjoy playing with your new computer :-)
>>

> aw come on :-)  This is a one of a kind thing.  There is a value in knowing
> you have a project that will keep you busy, assuming you enjoy this kind of
> thing, for a long time.  On the other end will be a lot of new knowledge.
>
> I have manuals for this machine, they're out there. I have a neat training
> manual that was used by LGP to train new users.  They really looked at this
> thing to be a personal computer.  This was some may claim by some
> definition the *first* personal computer.
>
> Bill

Guys, thanks for all the feedback. A challenge? Absolutely. But this is likely as close as I'll ever come to having a first generation machine, something unfathomable to me as a kid.

Apologies for the radio-silence, we've put 1200+ miles under our belts since Monday morning. Today we cross into Alberta. Will keep you all posted on how it goes.

Thanks,
Cory