USPS: Shipping

Tothwolf tothwolf at concentric.net
Mon Feb 1 22:22:41 CST 2016

On Mon, 1 Feb 2016, Guy Sotomayor wrote:
> On Feb 1, 2016, at 10:30 AM, Ken Seefried <seefriek at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Seconded. The machines the USPS uses for automated sorting of mail are
>>> not gentle on parcels.
>>
>> I'd rather strongly suggest you not us the USPS period.  In the last 6
>> months or so they've flat out lost 4 items either destined to or
>> shipped by me, and one item apparently (according to the tracking web
>> site) sat in a sorting facility in Utah for nearly a month before
>> magically showing up.  Glad it wasn't perishable.
>
> I’ve had failures with *all* of the major shippers.
>
> UPS tracking is a *joke*.  It tells you not where the package is but
> where it’s supposed to be.  I was tracking an IBM 3278 terminal and it
> wasn’t until the tracking said it was “on the truck for delivery” that
> they realized there was a problem.  There was not one “physical” scan of
> the package and they had no idea where it was.

I recently bought a vacuum tube tester and whatever USPS carrier happened
to be on duty scanned it as delivered but it was nowhere to be found.
After calling the USPS and getting the branch manager involved, it
magically appeared the next day. Someone at the USPS had also marked out
the tracking barcode on the label.