Mosaic 4.0 for openVMS

Sue Skonetski Sue.Skonetski at VMSSoftware.com
Sat Feb 6 18:06:10 CST 2016

Dear Richard,

Can you please send me email I am going to check with the VMS Engineering Team.  We have done a great deal of work in the Open Source space?  Also have you tried Firefox on Alpha?

Warm Regards,
Sue

> On Feb 6, 2016, at 6:43 PM, Richard Loken <rlloken at telus.net> wrote:
>
> Gentlemen, I stumbled across a reference to Mosaic 4.0 for VMS dated 2006.
>
> I ran Mosaic on my VMS workstation around 1994 and had abandoned it long
> ago first for Netscape 3.0.3 and later for Seamonkey.
>
> I did not know that there was any development on Mosaic in recent decades
> I found Seamonkey to be glacially slow on AlphaServer 4100 "desktop" and
> so I have not attempted to do much web browsing on VMS in recent years.
>
> So...  Is Mosaic 4.0 useful in 2016?  Is it more useful than Seamonkey?
> Netscape?  AFAIR, HP had a port of Firefox to IA64 VMS but not to Alpha,
> has anybody been so burdened with spare time that they have attempted
> to port firefox to Alpha or VAX VMS?  Or any other web browser?
>
> I hope to attempt a port of the heritage version of nroff/troff to VMS
> some time in the next couple years (I think groff would be much more difficult).  But that is a differant subject.
>
> --
>  Richard Loken VE6BSV, Systems Programmer - VMS   : "...underneath those
>  Athabasca University				   : tuques we wear, our
>  Athabasca, Alberta Canada			   : heads are naked!"
>  ** rlloken at telus.net **                         :    - Arthur Black

Sue Skonetski

VP of Customer Advocacy
Sue.Skonetski at vmssoftware.com
Office: +1 (978) 451-0116
Mobile: +1 (603) 494-9886

Mit freundlichen Grüßen – Avec mes meilleures salutations