Farewell and thanks!

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 18:14:38 CST 2016

Lacking any other clue (such as accent, mannerisms) that the speaker may
have different cultural norms, how is one to tell plain, friendly
discoursing from a demeaning, brusque or curt tone?

Absent the many critical but subtle cues we receive when engaging in live,
interpersonal conversation, the written word - particularly the functional
and casual way we use it here - is open to broad (mis-)interpretation at
almost every turn.

I'll close by saying that, like most of you, I've had the odd run-in with
what first seemed like a real twat on the net. But in every case, when we
took it up personally, off-list, I've never walked away with anything but a
satisfied mind and a more thoughtful and dare I say favorable opinion of
the person on the other end.