Tool to convert between Motorola FFP and IEEE754 float formats?

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Mon Feb 15 12:01:03 CST 2016

One way to do float format conversions (among a whole bunch of formats) is to use the arbitrary-precision and variable-format float machinery in the GCC compiler (file real.c).  It probably doesn't quite give you what you need -- conversion from one format to another -- but I imagine that adding this wouldn't be all that hard.  If you need to do exotic stuff, like convert from PDP-11 D format to IBM-360 double, that would be a way to do it.

It can readily be extended to add formats it doesn't currently have.  I added PDP-11 float to it in the past, that was pretty easy.  I suspect stranger formats like CDC 6000 might be harder, but probably still doable.

	paul