PCS Cadmus/QU68000 systems

pete pete at dunnington.plus.com
Wed Feb 17 15:17:56 CST 2016

On 17/02/2016 06:59, Arno Kletzander wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is anyone interested in PCS Cadmus/QU68000 systems? We at Hack42
>> have no idea what to do with them. We need to downsize and these
>> take up a significant amount of our space.
>>
>> See http://dev.ramdyne.nl/IMG_2750.JPG for photograph of the
>> stack.
>>
>> If you know other people who are interested in beasts like these,
>> please pass this information on. -- Andreas
>
> Looks like interesting machinery from a German manufacturer!
>
> There is a short blurb about them on de:wp
> (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadmus_Workstations) saying the PCS
> QU68000 were based on (who'd have guessed...) a 68000 processor on a
> QBus (!) while the later models sold under the CADMUS trademark held
> 68020/030 and, from 1985 on, MIPS RISC processors. They ran MUNIX, a
> V7 UNIX derivate, with some quite sophisticated cluster integration
> (network boot, "Newcastle connection" common superroot namespace,
> networked block devices) enabled by a board called the Intelligent
> Communications Controller.

The Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh had some 68K CADMUS systems,
which included a number of standard QBus boards and yes the OS was
virtually 7th Edition.  When I got my 11/23 system (running real
standard 7th edition, and including the original tapes) form them, I had
a play with a CADMUS system.  it was quite a nice system, but one
problem was that the quad-high CADMUS boards didn't have the same sort
of stiffeners along the back edge that DEC boards do, so they sagged and
had an occasional tendency to short out.

--
Pete
Pete Turnbull