Copying from a floppy to an SD card?

Eric Christopherson echristopherson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 20:54:51 CST 2016

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016, drlegendre . wrote:
> I do a fair amount of cross-C64 work, but all of it's on Linux.. here's
> what I can tell you, much of which applies to MS/Win as well.
>
> First you need a method of reading the original C-64 floppy into a .D64 (or
> other supported) image. This requires +four+ basic things - a PC, a 1541
> (or compatible) drive, a supporting software suite and one of the various
> X-1541 cables. These days, with modern multi-tasking OSes, I'd suggest
> using nothing but the XM-1541 cable design. These may be purchased, or,
> with a little time & effort, built up by the DIY-er.

Does anyone know of a way, from Linux, to determine the particular
species of one of those cables? I bought mine years ago and no longer
remember which it is (and it isn't marked). I assume it's XM, since I'm
sure I intended it for use in Linux when I bought it, but I'd like to be
sure.

> The XM-1541 cable connects the CBM 1541 drive to the parallel port on the
> PC. The software suite (I highly suggest OpenCBM!) acts as a userland
> driver / utility suite, allowing you to read, write, format etc. original
> SS/SD disks on the 1541 drive. Once you have successfully read images of
> the disk(s), then it's up to you how you handle them..

Somewhere I picked up the idea that for that you would need a cable that
connects, not only to the serial IEC port of the drive, but to a
parallel port which you must DIY on the drive. Would someone mind
chiming in here -- I don't understand how that would do anything other
than making the transfer faster? I know that on the software side you
specifically need nibbling tools, like mnib.

> If you have one of the SD-based systems, simply copy over the image to the
> SD and you're good! I don't use SD card, just original 1541 & floppies, so
> wouldn't have much help for that end of the process. But I'm sure it's very
> well documented by the vendor of the SD-card drive hardware - right? =)

The SD card devices all use Ingo Korb's SD2IEC software, as far as I
know.  The main source of documentation I know of is at
<https://www.sd2iec.de/gitweb/?p=sd2iec.git;a=blob;f=README;hb=HEAD>.

--
        Eric Christopherson