VMS 5.5 and multinet 4.1 SMTP Question

william degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 05:50:30 CST 2016

> I'm not quite sure whether SYSTEM at microvax3100@vintagecomputer.net is
really
> what you need here.  Maybe SYSTEM%microvax3100 at vintagecomputer.net would
work,
> assuming the mail server for vintagecomputer.net is configured to know how
> to route mail for a mail domain called microvax3100.
>
> Also, bear in mind that many mail servers may be configured to reject
mails
> with convoluted routing such as this as spammers often found ways to
abuse it.

> Regards,
> Peter Coghlan.

Thanks for your reply.  My error I meant send email to
system at microvax3100.vintagecomputer.net

If the older version of vms and multinet have these limits then so be it.
I found only newer docs for Multinet to use.  Whoever owned this machine
before me must have used for local mail and some sort of development or
computer support work before open Internet emailing.  I have to pull the
battery, etc. and stabilize the system but I prefer to keep everything
as-was and not upgrade the services. I only changed the networking values
so I could do comms.

Bill