Minix 3 vs portability - was Re: Looking for a small fast VAX development machine

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 07:09:28 CST 2016

On 23 February 2016 at 23:41, Maciej W. Rozycki <macro at linux-mips.org> wrote:

>  Are you sure?  I've seen plenty of Freescale cores going pretty low as
> far as power consumption goes, like their whole e200 line to start from
> the very low end, but there's also e6500 for example if you want 64 bits
> and more processing power.  And then plenty of choice in between.

AFAIK, not remotely competitive with the Core 2 Duo line, which is
what Apple had in mind when it switched the Mac line's CPUs the second
time.

And whereas PowerPC Macs could run Classic MacOS in a VM, Macintels
can run Windows in a VM, which is far, far more useful. I personally
didn't like the move, but it was a smart one for the company.