New Commodore 64 is Finally Here--For Real! PC MAG Snip

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Fri Jan 1 15:35:36 CST 2016

On Fri, 1 Jan 2016, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> What's funny is that in the old pre MS-DOS 3.3 days, one of the ways to trick
> DOS into supporting larger volumes was to increase the (apparent) sector size
> with code to block up 512 byte sectors into larger (1024, 2048, etc.)
> apparent ones--and a few DOS patches.

Another way, starting with PC/MS-DOS 3.10 was using MSCDEX, or equivalent.
I think that there used to be some very strange patches around to let a
hard drive impersonate a CD-ROM.
A CD-ROM (2/3 G) was not a local drive to the OS!  It was presented as
being a "drive-like" object on a network.
That is a VERY LOCAL area network.