Floppy recovery

ethan at 757.org ethan at 757.org
Tue Jan 5 15:58:29 CST 2016

> of hundreds of drives (cloud), SSD, Smart Phones, etc. This includes those
> that have been purposely or accidentally erased and/or physically
> damaged.

If a disk has all zeros written to it, as far as I know from what I've
read there is no hope of recovering the data. There were rumors that the
government could do it based on really fine detection of magnetic levels
or something -- but it was rumor. There are bounties out there if anyone
can pull it off.

I understand data can be recovered when the file entry is removed from an
allocation table but data has not been zereod/randomly written over.

tl;dr: single pass is fine -- no need to triple pass erase.