Phone service; was; 10 forgotten wonders of 1980s homes

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Jan 6 15:02:30 CST 2016

Today, while on on my walk, I ran into my favorite two Century Link
techs at the lcoal DSLAM.  When you see just one guy, maybe he's
installing subscriber service, but two trucks generally means
something's afoot.

All the cabinets were open and there were various bits of gear scattered
around.  So I took the time to ask the guys about ATM vs. IP and got an
interesting answer.

It seems that the stuff in the boxes is part IP and part ATM--and
they're having a devil of a time figuring out how to interface the two.
  Essentially the new IP stuff and the fiber are hooked up, but not
servicing any subscribers--everyone is still running off the buried
cable and ATM--and as the rainy season is upon us, this is proving to be
problematical.  Apparently, among other problems, it's getting difficult
to find ATM gear anymore.

They did apologize for the false "Real Soon Nows".

So, maybe, if I live long enough, one of these days...

--Chuck